Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My First Days on Prozac

I got a prescription for my hormones. Called Fluoxetine, it is the generic brand for Prozac. I picked this up on Monday afternoon and then after reading all the "literature" they sent me home with I decided I would take it just before I got into bed since I am suppose to take it at the same time everyday and the side effects often make you drowsy (or affect you adversely and make you wired). I have never taken any medication for anything except for antibiotics when I have some kind of infection or for pain just after having a baby. I didn't think I would have any hang ups about it. I guess I was wrong.
While standing at the sink filling up my glass I saw my reflection in the mirror and thought to myself, "how did I get here?" "do I really want to take this?" "are the side effects worth the benefits?" "how long will I have to be on medication?" "can't I just tough it out and do it without drugs?" The tears ran freely down my face and soaked my neck. I said a quick prayer for the strength to give myself relief. I knew my emotional response to the medication was directly related to my depression and so I turned from the mirror and took my first little blue and grey pill. It went down so easily I didn't even feel it in my trout. I turned out the light and got into bed. All night I tossed and turned. Waking every few hours wrestling with thoughts of how the medication could be changing me, how it could effect my baby. I woke in the morning neither feeling rested nor any more tired than I do normally. I tried to get done everything I would have liked to for the day and came up short as I do almost everyday now. I thought about the medication and talked about it with a couple friends. Then Tuesday night it came time to take the next one. I again cried while filling my glass with water but swallowed it right down. I slept better but not great. Both Tuesday and again today I have had a dull head ache. I don't know if it is a side effect to the medication, part of my pregnancy, or my lack of sleep but I cry because of that too.
It's so silly to cry over such small things. Which is exactly why I need this medication. I do not want to cry over every small little thing. I cry because my six year old tells me I am a mean mom, I cry because my mom calls and leaves me a message, I cry because my daughter asks for a snuggle and I don't have the strength to read a few books to her, I cry because my husband wants to go after talking to me on phone for a while, I cry because I seem to always be running late, I cry because my laundry feels as if it will never get caught up. I cry because I am not enough. I am going to continue taking the medication at least for two weeks. I want to stop crying and move into the light.

10 comments:

m-idea said...

April--

You're not alone. I've been there (well, not pregnant---but facing that face in the mirror). In fact, as recently as 6-8 months I tried an experiment to see if I could "go off". After 2 months of ever progressing pressence of anxiety, tears, and depression....I started back up again. Life is SOOOOOO much better. And, although I don't suggest doing that to anyone (the experiment), I can certainly attest that what is taken is needed---and works.

It takes a while. It took almost a month when I first started to truly start feeling better....and for the side effects to wear off. With being pregnant---that might affect things even more. Sometimes you have to try more than one medication (see if this one works...then try another if it doesn't)--and going through it all with a real psychologist or an APRN that specializes in mental health is highly suggested. Therapy may not hurt either. This all takes patience, and is frustrating as well. But, as someone who has stood in "that" mirror....and realized the enormous difference---no matter what others can say, it has been worth it for me.

Your friend--Mary P.

Erwin and Marie said...

April, sorry to hear that things are getting so overwhelming for u. As a mom and wife I know u feel like u fall short at times. We r only human and can only do our best. I pray that things get easier for u. There is light at the end of that tunnel. Remember u are of great worth, to your family and everyone that knows u. God thinks u r great. Keep pushing forward and smile:) Love Ya!

Kara Simmons. said...

April I am so sorry for what you have been going through. I hope you find a solution and the medication will work!

Kate said...

I'm so sorry, April... I hope that those meds help you see how much you are worth and how important all of your efforts are, even if it seems like it's not enough.

Lora Gooch said...

April. I think that having 4 kids and being pregnant ALL while not having your husband there to help you, would make anyone depressed, sad, tired and emotional. I took prozac after I had Jordan for post pardum and it did indeed take the edge off. Just give it time. There is no shame in taking it, especially if it helps you take care of your other children as well as yourself. Trust the doctors that it won't harm your baby. I'm thinking the headaches are due to your lack of sleep and stress. I'm thinking of you! :)

Jen @ Love, the Arthurs said...

Oh April! I'm so sorry. I wish I could do something to help. Can we get together sometime soon? Give me a call anytime for anything. I love you!

Double D said...

Now you are making me cry....I love you and am super proud of you! Remember, you are a great mom that I look up to and this is another great thing you are doing for your children!

Melissa said...

Sorry you are having a hard time! It's so hard to be everything to everyone- here's to better days and a sweet baby to love when it is all over!

Hulamum said...

April, I have been there. I know exactly how you feel. If you need someone to talk to or need anything at all, please call me! Hang in there!! Love ya

Kelly and Jill Burk said...

April I hope everything works out for you. I had no idea. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. And that it was so kind of you to make us such a yummy dinner. We really enjoyed it! If there is anything I can do for you let me know.

counter