Thursday, April 9, 2009

Good Night Sweetheart

We are one of those families others may look at and think that we are strange.
I put my kids to bed at 6:30 almost every night. Now I know some of you might think this is crazy but for my family it works and it is the best thing for all of us. My kids need the sleep and I need the adult time. During the summer it will probably be not as routine, but we will see how it goes.
The routine is play/school / jobs done all day. Home from school and homework, then piano, play until 5:30. Dinner, jammies, family time (if we got everything else done that consists of a game or a book or FHE) teeth, prayers, bed. In bed each child can take a book and has a reading light. Peach and Tate usually fall asleep within the first half hour and Court has to turn lights out at 8:30.
Lately Peach has not fallen right asleep and seems to think of numerous reasons to get up. "I have to go to the bathroom", "I am thirsty", "I am scared", "I need a different book", "My baby needs a kiss", "Can I snuggle in your bed?", "I can hear the boys", on and on.
Then the next day she falls asleep while we run around getting stuff done or playing in her room. Just enough of a cat nap to keep her up that evening, but not enough to stop the whining.
The other day though she fell right asleep and that is when she is my angel. I know everyone thinks their child is the most beautiful, but mine really is. :)

8 comments:

Jen @ Love, the Arthurs said...

She really is so beautiful. Hopefully Taelie will learn to want that much sleep!

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

Peach is beautiful, and I love her little ballet slippers (Kenley has the same pair). Different things work for different families, like you said, but early bedtimes work for us, too--Kenley is begging to go to bed by 6:30 most nights!

Lora Gooch said...

If you can get them to bed at 6:30 and they sleep until morning...all the power to ya! I'm a firm believer in Schedules. People think I'm a stickler when I don't allow them to stay up later in the summer or on vacation (well, sometimes I do) but I don't care....I NEED my alone time and kids need a schedule....and did I mention I need my alone time? :)

She is truly an angel!

Kelly and Jill Burk said...

Awww, that is so sweet April!

Double D said...

I love your schedule. Our kids are in be bed around 7pm...asleep 7:30 and I love the quiet time. I think peaches is definitely beautiful!

Kate said...

Early bedtimes are the best! Kids thrive off of a routine, and you're right... you definitely need the adult time! It just gets hard when there are church things at like 7pm... how does that fit into bedtime? Oh well. I guess there can be exceptions to the schedule, but I sure have a hard time explaining that to my 7 month old! :)

Those pictures of Peach are so precious!

Cortney Chambers said...

i am so with you on the early bed time thing---my problem is that i miss out on the adult time because i'm so dang tired that i go to bed at 8:00!

Joanna said...

Love those jammies! I can't believe how big she has gotten this year... didn't she get the memo from me that says the kids AREN"T ALLOWED TO GROW!

counter