Thursday, May 21, 2009

Missing Coal

I feel a bit better today.
Our little dog of nine years died Monday after a day of much suffering.
I have had a really tough week because of it.
When we were pulling out of my driveway to start to drive to Chicago last Friday, Peach and Tate were crying begging me not to leave Coal. You wouldn't leave me, why are you leaving Coal? I told them that he was going to have a fun summer with Emily and we would see him when we got back. . .
Court and Tate both have birthdays in the next few days. I can't bring myself to tell everyone the news. I have to be able to talk about it without crying before I talk with the kids about it.
I will miss my furry companion. He really was the best dog. Hyper (and I loved it). Happy. Obedient. Great with the kids. Lazy. And mischievous. Plus I knew he loved me. And what girl can't live without a little more love.

8 comments:

Julia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I know how much heartache that can bring. I highly recommend the book Dog Heaven, by Cynthia Rylant:

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Heaven-Cynthia-Rylant/dp/0590417010

It will definitely help you AND your kids.

Jonathonandaudrey said...

Oh my goodness.. That is so sad :( I'm sorry...

Melissa said...

So sorry about Coal...losing a treasured friend is always hard.

Spring E. Smith said...

April? Holy cow that is awful news. I remember when you got Coal. That is just so sudden.

Erwin and Marie said...

Sorry to hear about your little companion. U get so attached to them, and it hurts when u lose them. So sorry:(

Kate said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your dog! Losing any animal is difficult, let alone an animal that has been in your life for so long. Our hearts are reaching out to you!

April said...

Thanks everyone for your love. It means a lot.

Kelly and Jill Burk said...

April I had no idea, I am so sorry to hear about your doggie. There truly is something so special about the companionship of your own dog. They really become apart of one's family. Hope you and the family are doing well in Chi-Town.

counter