Friday, May 8, 2009

The Summer of Yes

Last night, I had the honor to be with some really incrediable woman. We get together monthly and that is one of the few things I miss when I am away for the summer. I always walk away feeling revitalized and refeshed. I usually think about something from our discussions for days and I always learn something.
Last night I changed because of some things that were said and I will become a better person because of it.
All the women are from different backgrounds and situations. We all have different perspectives. We all respect and love each other. A couple of the women have gone through some major health issues with their kids in the last year or so and what they have learned as one of the most important lessons is to say yes as much as humanly possible to all their children.
"Mom, can I have an after school snack?" Yes. "Mommy can we go to Grandma's today?" Yes. "Mom, can I sign up for basketball?" Yes. "Mom, can I play outside before I do my homework?" Yes. "Mommy, will you play Uno with me?" Yes. "Mommy can we go to the pool today?" Yes. What would it hurt to give in to the children's demands a little more?
I have been of the previous thought that I am the mom. I am the boss. I make the rules and I enforce the rules. But I don't always enjoy that role. I don't like saying no. So I think I am going to try this summer to say yes. Of course everything still need to get done, but if the laundry takes longer to fold because I am reading a book to my kids. Or the dishes are in the sink because someone wanted to make cupcakes. I will be OK with that. I will not have children at home forever, but I will forever define myself as a mother. So by all of my "yes'" I hope that my kids hear, "I love you" because that is what it is all about.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

beautiful post. I absolutely agree!

Laura Ross said...

wow, that is a great view of motherhood

Lora Gooch said...

Needed to hear that today. Thanks April!

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

A very fitting post for Mother's Day. I like it!

Laura said...

Thanks, April! That is a great reminder! These years can feel so long sometimes, but I'm sure some day I'll look back and feel that they passed by quickly! I need to say yes more often.

Melissa said...

Love this! Sometimes I get so caught up in the "getting it done" that I forget who I am doing it for. Thanks for the reminder- I think I will also have a summer of "yes".

counter