Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Mt Rushmore

I think it is about time I blogged about the drive. It was long, no getting around that, but we are here and it was worth it. There were some areas in Wyoming that I fell in love with. Then there were some areas that I could do without seeing again. The kids were for the most part were excellent and I didn't fall asleep once.
We stopped at Mt Rushmore and it was beautiful. I couldn't help thinking how that wouldn't be allowed to happen now a days. It seems there are too many opinions out there and some people would object and it could never get past the red tape. Such a shame because it really is a thing of beauty.
Afterward we stopped at a dinner to eat and as I was paying my waitress saw that we were from Utah and asked if we were LDS. I said yes and she got all excited and said she was too. It was interesting for me to experience this. I have lived out of Utah a number of different times and never felt that way about seeing another member. Don’t get me wrong I am always playing “I spy a Mormon” at Disneyland or other major attractions but it is just because I see the signs of garments or BYU shirts. This was more like a total jubilation of “I am not alone.” “There are others out there like me.” I almost fist bumped her as I was leaving. And then I thought why anyone would want to be included in the mess of what we looked liked. A single women with four children, everyone has fuzzy hair from the car seats, energized bodies from lack of moving about, then there was the three trips to the restroom during lunch for pee, then poop, then spill cleanup. It really looks like crazy on the outside. Of course, I wouldn’t trade it but that is because it is MY craziness.
We left Utah Friday afternoon around 3:30 and ended up getting to Chicago on Sunday around 6pm. I am thankful we made it here safe. Loving Chicago so far I have to say. I have so many fun things planned for the summer and I am sure I will post about a lot of it. I hope your summer is a good one.

Tate took this picture of me. LOL

6 comments:

Double D said...

You are one tough lady!!

Jess said...

Hey April! I saw your comment on Jen and Jeremy's blog. Good luck with the DAT. Griff is trying to decide if he wants to take the plunge and go back to school too. Sounds like you guys are doing well!

Sue said...

Fun! How long will you be in Chicago? You did well, making that drive with 4 kids! Mt Rushmore IS majestic, isn't it? I wonder who they'd put up there if they allowed another such monument?

Kayla said...

April!! I'm so glad you guys got to Chicago safe and sound. It's amazing how things just fly by when your half way across the country... anyway, i love you guys, and tell Court happy birthday for me!! And April, I'm so sorry about Coal...

Jacey said...

So cool! That's something I'd love to see.

Grammyslookin said...

Just learned how to comment. (So hard). Love all you guys. Love to read your blog and see the pictures. Hope Court and Tate had a great birthday. If you have an address I'll send their gifts.

counter