Saturday, October 11, 2008

McCain, McCain, He's our Man?

My family knows one of my favorite T.V. programs is The View. I still remember what was going on in some of the first shows I saw. It was about the time that Courtland was born so that was in 1999 Barbara, Joy, Meredith and Star were trying to find the next co-host. They had on a couple candidates, but it was clear to me that they would choose Lisa Ling who I remembered from watching in high school on Channel One News. Things have changed a lot since then, but I have continued to watch.
Now that we have TiVo, I am able to watch The View whenever I would like too. Since I am (still) undecided on whom I am to vote for I like how much the ladies talk about politics. Their conversations are always lively and give me something more to think about. Often I end up not agreeing with any of them, but I enjoy the experience to get to my own truth.
Ever since the bailout was purposed the ladies have been talking about it. Whoopi had an idea that I could totally get on board with. For EVERY home owner to get a percentage break off of their home loan. I really like that idea. I think it would help the economy. McCain came up with a plan in this last debate, a $300 billion plan to stabilize the housing market by buying up and renegotiating bad mortgages. Yet but he did so in a way that left many questions. I think McCain will still need to do a lot more in order to win this election.
So I give two points to Whoopi for the idea, Ten points to McCain for taking it, and trying to figure out how to make it work. Too bad it is going to take more than that to get my vote.
My favorite quote of the night came from McCain in his final statement: "I know what it's like in dark times. I know what it's like to have to fight to keep one's hope going through difficult times. I know what it's like to rely on others for support and courage and love in tough times. I know what it's like to have your comrades reach out to you and your neighbors and your fellow citizens and pick you up and put you back in the fight."
I believe him. That may be worth a few more points.

1 comment:

Katydid said...

Good for you for commenting on politics on a blog. It takes courage. Did you know that McCain has defended Obama when town meetings were becoming out of hand. He is a gentleman.

counter