Sunday, October 5, 2008

Rights of a Father

Gentry doesn't even read my blog, but I finally talked him into writing a post.

I fondly remember watching my dad as he would get ready for Sunday. I was fascinated by him and would imagine the day when I would be like him. The day came when I was old enough to stand in front of the mirror with my dad and graduate from the clip on ties I was used to. I’m not sure if my dad could tell how excited I was that he was going to teach me how to tie a “real” tie. At that time I didn’t imagine that one day my turn would come to stand in front of the mirror with my son. I’m not sure if Courtland could tell how excited I was that I was going to teach him how to tie a “real” tie.
There are certain moments that rank up there in the great moments of life. As insignificant as tying a tie might be, standing in front of the mirror with my dad and standing in front of the mirror with my son are two of them.

7 comments:

Kara Simmons. said...

Good to hear from ya Gentry!

Lora Gooch said...

Okay Gentry,,you got me to cry! Cut that out! Great post.

Joanna said...

beautiful. I don't know if my son will ever get a moment like that with his dad.

Sue said...

That brought tears to my eyes! It's not quite the same but I remember teaching my girls how to shave their legs. Bonding moments, that's for sure! They still have to teach me how to 'stay in the lines' when I put nail polish on my toes.....
Thanks for sharing a special moment!

Lora Gooch said...

We do still have the pool although we hhavn't opened it in 2 years. My kids love to jump all over me and hug me a lot. Sometimes I need a break but I realize they will stop doing this soon.

Monica Buchanan said...

Way to make me cry Gentry. You're a good dad.

allen6 said...

I love that, what an awesome post!

counter