Monday, January 12, 2009

Ring, Ring... Nobodys Home!!!

Last Tuesday Gentry went to work. He spends most of the 25 minute drive to and from checking in with his guys. Around 8:30pm he called me (from someone else's phone) and told me that his phone was missing. Somehow he had lost it between his usual calling on the way to work and when it was time to leave. He did what most people do when they misplace their cell phones, call it over and over, listening for the ring. He asked around if anyone had seen it. He retraced his steps, and searched the car. NOTHING. The only thing left to do was wait a day or two, hoping someone would come across it.
Wednesday, he stewed about it. What could have happened? After all, even if it had fallen out of his pocket or he had left it on someones desk, someone would have come across it by now. Why is no one calling saying they had found it. Where could it be?
Thursday he started getting mad. Mad at himself for losing it. Mad at whoever stole it. Because if no one is turning it in, then someone must have stolen it. Mad that he has to buy a new one right now. Mad that he is missing so many calls and can't even make calls he needs to because he doesn't have there number somewhere else. And mad that his list of things to do just got another thing added to the list, "Buy New Phone".
Friday came and it was the day to bite the bullet and just get another phone. Things got busy and he never got around to it. Then around 5:30 my cell rang. I looked to see who was calling and it was Gentry. Or at least his cell. I answer it and lo and behold it is someone who works at the same building who, when leaving work, saw this cell phone in the parking lot. You read that right. He found the phone in the parking lot three days later in weather that has been below freezing everyday and night! It is working and it seems fine. No cracks, no water damage, nothing. We arrange a place for him to hide the phone somewhere in the building so Gentry can pick it up the next time he is in the office. This morning he went to work and he got his phone right where it was suppose to be. He called me and said it was a bit dirty but still had two of the three bars of battery. So there you go. A happy ending.

When did we become so attached to the cell phone? Can't hardly live without it. Now a days, most people think that not having a phone when driving is almost dangerous. What if something was to happen?!? What do you do when you are at the grocery store and you need to call your mother for that recipe to make sure you have everything? What would happen if you were gone for the day and your child got sick at school? No one would be able to get a hold of you ALL DAY! And then there is the time when you are driving for a while and start to be bored and feel a little sleepy, you need that phone so you can call a girlfriend in order to keep you awake and your mind occupied. If you do loose your phone there is the business of the lost phone numbers. So it isn't just that you are out a phone, it is like you lost your contact book too! Everyone elses cell phone number is gone also.

I think I am going to go and call someone on my cell phone. Call me back!

4 comments:

Spring E. Smith said...

Thus the reason Sean and I still do not own cell phones!

Kate said...

You're right, we have gotten super reliant on our cell phones... but I'm glad that we have them! I feel safer with it and we are definitely spoiled by the convenience of them. I'm glad that Gentry's phone was found!!

Lora Gooch said...

Yup, I'm still in the old times. I have one but only use it for emergencies. If I'm away from home...I'm away from home for a reason DON'T call me! Can't it wait until I get home? Ha! Glad it was a happy ending though.

Joanna said...

add to the list that a lot of cell phones these days have people's calenders and email contacts as well!! Once you have an iphone go out on you- you are really up a creek with out a paddle!! :)

counter