Tuesday, January 20, 2009

USA! USA!

"I am part of history," I have heard this over and over today. What kind of responsibility does that statement carry? That by being alive this day in 2009 we are special? I think it is about much more than that. I believe it is about what the inauguration posters say, "Be The Change." The choices we made yesterday need to become history, a thing of the past. Today is better, brighter, and more important than where we were. Be a part of history.

Barack Hussein Obama became the 44th President of the United States of America today. It was so fun to see the crowd, and enthusiasm. A country united.

The musical number 'Air and Simple Gifts' composed by John Williams set a mood of peace and hope like no speech ever could have. So fitting to see a French Chinese-American, Israel-American, Venezuelan-American, and an African-American musicians uniting our nation full of AMERICANS.

Some of my favorite quotes from the day were, "We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things."

"Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious, and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America -- they will be met."

"Now, there are some who question the scale of our ambitions -- who suggest that our system cannot tolerate too many big plans. Their memories are short," Obama proclaimed. "For they have forgotten what this country has already done, what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose and necessity to courage."

"So let us mark this day with remembrance, of who we are and how far we have traveled,"

With the work just beginning, I end this post with "Yes we can!"

2 comments:

Kara Simmons. said...

I loved watching all the different parts of this inauguration day! The excitement of it all is definately contagious just by watching the events on tv!

Double D said...

Well said...I really loved seeing the process yesterday. I especially loved speaking to my boys about what was happening. What a great teaching opportunity! Nice to see you are well. love ya

counter