Thursday, July 17, 2008

Biltmore House

Asheville has been recognized as one of the top 12 travel destinations in the world. That's according to Frommer's—one of the country's top travel publications. Asheville shares the spotlight with Zurich, Switzerland; Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands; and Tokyo. Since I am not traveling to any of those places soon, I will just enjoy that I was able to be in Ashville yesterday.
We were in Ashville to visit the Biltmore. George and Edith Vanderbilt's 250-room family home and country retreat. We toured this real life castle and saw original art from masters such as Renoir, magnificent 16th-century tapestries, Napoleon's chess set, a library with 10,000 volumes, a Banquet Hall with a 70-foot ceiling, 65 fireplaces, an indoor pool, bowling alley, and priceless antiques. Courtland’s favorite part was learning about all the hidden doors like inside one of the fireplaces. Mine was seeing The Waltz a water color painting by Anders Zorn. I have seen prints of this picture before but it never caught my eye until seeing it yesterday. I came home and learned more about the artist. This angel stands gaurd. A beautiful house.

I have a good time until about half way through when I was practically asked to leave. Peach was not as enthralled as the rest of us and she decided this was a great place to throw a fit. I didn’t think so (neither did the staff). So Tate, Peach, Isabel and I walked outside for a while until everyone else was able to finish the tour.

Isabel was tired and by the end so was I

2 comments:

Joanna said...

I have tried talking Doug into taking me there for a weekend anniversary trip for four years now!! jealous me!

Mindi B said...

Wow! Beautiful! Fun to see your cute family. It has been over 10 years since I have seen you and now you have 4 kids and I just had my fifth - CRAZY! How's life been treating you? (You look great by the way - and yes, I went through a similar red hair experience; I will say that yours looks tons better than mine did! (Mindi Larson Barker)

counter