Saturday, November 22, 2008

Roasted Chickens

I bought the two whole chickens from Costco. They are one of my favorite food buys. I made them yesterday and I have to say I am proud of how they turned out.



ROASTED CHICKEN

2 chickens , 4 1/2 to 5 pounds each
3 lemons and an orange
Poultry spice, parsley and oregano
1 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup juice from lemon and orange (don't discard lemon rinds)

Preheat oven to 425°
Make marinade: Place mustard, soy and juice in a bowl. Mix ingredients well.
Pull out the stuff in the stomach of the chicken and cut out the neck.
Stuff cavities with lemon and orange rinds and a generous amount of the herbs.
Place each chicken in its own baking dish.
Pour marinade over chicken. Add cracked pepper to the top of each chicken.
Cover with aluminum foil. Place on the lower rack of the oven.
Bake for 2 hours.

It took me only about 10 mins to get this in the oven. I also wrapped some potatoes and threw them in after about an hour of the chickens cooking.

We ate one all up and since there are two... I have an extra one. Any ideas of what to do with it? I made chicken noodle soup with two other chickens about a week ago, so I can't do that. If you have any great chicken enchilada recipes or some other idea's I would love that recipe! Thanks.

2 comments:

Brady and Patrice said...

How fun! The only whole chickens I've cooked were Cornish Hens, and Brady didn't like them because he didn't want to have to deal with the bones! I have a favorite chicken enchilada recipe and it is so super easy! Shred the chicken, layer it on the bottom of a casserole dish, top with crushed tortilla chips, pour on a mixture of a large can of enchilada sauce mixed with a can of cream of chicken soup, top with shredded cheese and bake about 30 minutes at 350. sometimes I add olives to it, and that's really good, too. Hope this helps!
Oh, and I just thought I'd let you know that Ayda is STILL talking about Tate, EVERY DAY!!! She sure loves him!

Unknown said...

Yum yum yum!!! Make Chicken pot pies. They freeze wonderfully!!! And kids love 'em!!!

counter