Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Lazy 5 Ranch




Sunday Landon's family, our family, with Kevin and Robin all went to the Lazy 5 Ranch. It is a safari drive through park where we viewed over 750 animals from all over the world. I'm not really sure what the name implies, but I really enjoyed sitting back in the car taking pictures of the kids, looking at animals. We opened up the van's side doors and watched the animals up close and even a bit too personal. Animals that really left an impression on the kids were the emus. Emus are the second-largest extant birds in the world and can reach (6.5 ft) in height. They have brown soft-feathers and Tate nicknamed them birdie-velociraptors because of how they moved very quickly and the way they came in for their food. It made me a bit nervous.
In this picture Peach seems to be imitating the water buffalo, but she was just yawning (good timing on the picture Gentry)
I love this picture of Tate just hanging out the car looking at the animals. I am surprised the giraffes aren't over weight because they were feed so much food from all the visitors. This summer I could really take on the trait of a giraffe in that it has one of the shortest sleep requirements of any mammal, which is between 10 minutes and two hours in a 24-hour period, averaging 1.9 hours per day. I am barely getting more than that, but I need SO much more, try 8-10 hours a day.
My favorite animal was the Bison. I have been to Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump in Canada numerous times and driven through the buffalo reserve. But I have never had an experience like this where I was sitting in the seat next to the open side door of the van when a bison/buffalo came up to us and started eating from our bucket of food. He/she let me pet him and wasn't easily spooked. I am not sure how this park makes it all work because the adult bulls can express a high degree of dominance competitiveness during mating season, fighting for the female bison. Lots of times these fights result in injury or death. And with animals that can grow to be 11.5 feet in length, up to 6.5 feet in height and up to one ton in weight that seems like a scary time to be sitting there with the door open.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

LOVE that pict of Tate! Looks like everyone had a blast.... I'd be WAY too nervous to be quite THAT close.

counter