Monday, September 29, 2008

Define Yourself

I have been invited to contribute to http://modernmollymormon.blogspot.com/
I have been checking it out for a month or so now and have decided to be a part of it.
They asked me to write an introduction post telling about myself. I never realized how difficult this could be. It is hard to define oneself. I was asked to "talk about your life, family, church experience, and what you hope to find/contribute to Modern Molly Mormon". So here goes.

About Me, Maudlin Molly
If you were to look up the word maudlin in the dictionary you will come across something like this:
Maudlin: cont. of Magdalene, originally surname of Mary, the repentant sinner forgiven by Jesus in Luke 37. In paintings, she was often shown weeping as a sign of repentance. Meaning "characterized by tearful sentimentality"
I am much like the name describing a sinner (mostly sins of omission) and a weeper. I cry about everything. Plus I want to always be associated with the Savior.
As a Mormon woman, I spend my time reading, raising two boys and two girls, checking out others blogs, volunteering at my child’s school, fulfilling my calling, keeping up on yard work and house work, cooking, and trying to make friends.
I got married at nineteen in the Manti temple, to the man of my dreams. Twelve years later I still get butterflies in my tummy when I remember how much he means to me. My oldest is nine years old, he plays the piano, tries hard at everything he does, and loves to read. My second boy is five. His personality is bubbling over. He wants to be the center of attention always and wins everyone over with his cute mug. My third is a girl. She is almost three, into Little Mermaid and baby dolls. And I have a baby of a few mouths who recently has gotten her first two teeth.
I am really comfortable with who I am and where I am at. Don’t get me wrong. I want to be better and do more, but I am on the right path and I like where we are headed. I want my children to grow up with memories of a happy family that worked and played hard together. I dream about one day having the time and resources to travel the world. I want to be a support to my family and friends.
I have roots in the church back to Hyrum. My siblings are all (basically) raised and still active. When I try and decide when I first gained my testimony I cannot define a time. I have always had a testimony of Jesus Christ. There have been great moments of growth. While attending seminary in high school I had teachers that helped me learn how to study the scriptures and teach me how to prey with my Heavenly Father. Soon after having my first child, we lived in New England and I relied heavily on the spirit for guidance in my calling and my desire to grow my family. I have a firm foundation rooted in the gospel of the church. I am always questioning and studying the gospel and through this process I continue to grow.
I am grateful to Modern Molly Mormon for the opportunity to contribute and hopefully I have something noteworthy to add. I hope through my contributions my testimony grows and so might others. We all have struggles. I believe that this type of forum can help us to lift each other’s burdens and that weakness’ can become strengths.

How would you define yourself?

1 comment:

Sue said...

Nice, April! You did a great job! Yes, all of us have room for improvement but it's so good to be happy with where we are in our lives and the direction in which we're going. Love you lots!

counter