Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Potty Training Headache

Potty Training is such a head ache. Peaches, my two year old soon to be three, has no idea how this is supposed to be done. I thought I did, but apparently NOT! I have always been told that potty training a girl is easier than a boy. I figured now that I have been through it twice and read two books on the subject; I knew what I was doing. I do NOT! This girl is crazy. She plays with her little potty like it is a stool or a box. She will gladly sit on the potty for an M&M. She loves for me sit by her reading book after book. She will drink the juice boxes and water I put in front of her for hours. But when it comes time to peeing or pooping in the potty… she will hold it for hours, begging for me to put a diaper on her. She has complained that her tummy hurt because she had held it for so long. We had told her with much excitement about how fun it is to go in the potty. If she will pee I will give her bubble gum (thanks for the suggestion Jesse) her very favorite thing. If she will poop I will give her a little princess present. We bought her princess panties. I have even let her watch me going to the bathroom so she can see how it is done.
I do not know what else to do. I am at my wits end. If you have any suggestions, please, please, please pass it along.
One good thing has come out of this. When she gets older I will have some great photos to embarrass her. Payback.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I have potty trained several kids besides my own 3 ( I worked in a daycare). Sounds like she knows when she has to pee so maybe she just isn't ready yet. Some kids are like that. And You do have a(fairly) new baby,and even though Peach may not openly show it,she might still crave that baby attention from you and since peeing in the potty makes her a big girl,she might be afraid of losing attention. May also be why she is holding it. She probably sees that her holding it stresses you out which in turn puts the attention on her. So Here is what I would do. let her wear her diaper, but take her to the potty every 30 minutes.( dont use a new diaper each time,just slip it off-but i am sure you knew that!!) if she pees,great,make a huge deal out of it and reward her with the gum/candy. If she doesnt pee,dont reward her and dont make a big deal out of her refusing to pee. Just make sure she knows the candy is there,and be sure she knows that she must pee in order to get the candy. This has worked like a charm for me every time!! She will probably be mad about not getting candy when she doesnt pee, but don't back down!!! And if it doesnt work, then just wait a few months. It will happen when she is ready!!!

Kara Simmons. said...

Oh that Peaches! That picture is hilarious! Good luck with the potty training.

Joanna said...

that's the cutest little potty picture ever!! (GOOD LUCK!!!)

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

My only other suggestion, other than bubble gum, is just to keep telling her that "big girl's go to the potty". That works with Kenley, because she likes to think she is a "big girl." Kids do what they want when they want, though, so she'll do it when she's ready. Someday soon, I bet Peaches will decide on her own that she wants to use the potty for what it's made for.

You are doing everything right, and you are an awesome mom, April--don't stress :)

Melissa said...

I feel your pain- I hate potty training! Love the picture!

Williamson Fam said...

Oh i am so sorry, my 1 1/2 yr old has strangly become interested in peeing on the potty, but things may change when its actually time to buy panties and go poop she wont poop for anything..My advice is, keep up on it and she will do it when she is ready. I hate potty training, seriously why cant they come down this way already...

Spring E. Smith said...

Its nice to know that I'm not the only one with a very stubborn child. Kepler has all the signs, but I can't seem to get him too interested yet. Hopefully I can get through the potty training book without falling asleep in order to properly start the training. Good luck. I might have to ask you some advice.

Monica Buchanan said...

No ideas- I am right there with you with Matthew. What a joke!

counter