Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Is Thank You Still Thank You?

Isabel is now five months old and I still have not sent out all my thank you notes to all of our friends and family who were thoughtful when she was born. It makes me wonder if I should still do it? Is it still taken as a thank you four months later?
I was talking with a friend of mine this last weekend who has been married for two years. She told me that she still didn't have her thank yous out from her wedding.
I guess I am not alone... but I don't think that it makes it alright.
When I give someone a gift, I am certainly not checking my mailbox for the thank you, but I do appreciate the gesture when I do get one.
Which leaves me with my current dilemma solved. I guess I need to go and write thank you note. If you haven't gotten one yet, it isn't because I wasn't grateful, just lazy.

3 comments:

Doug Wallace said...

April,

Love this post! We've all done this in some way or another. I think it is o.k. to send them when you get a chance. Better late than never. It reminds me of an experience I had when I was 18. I worked for several days for a guy in our ward who had his own construction company. When the job was done, I asked for my check. He told me the money I was supposed to be paid had been put into his next project and he could not pay me. I was soooooooo angry. A year later, when I gave my "farewell" talk at church, he came up and gave me an envelope with a check in it for 3 times what he owed me for the work I'd done earlier that year. He apologized and asked for my forgiveness. It was nice to get the apology, though quite late. (And I can always be bought off:) !) I was no longer angry.

FWIW

Friendofflash said...

12 years and counting for me not doing my wedding thank you cards. Older gift givers were bugged, but I think most of us now a days know what a hassle it is and don't expect one. Still it is the right thing to do I guess. remember stamps went up 2 cents or something like that.

Williamson Fam said...

Hey April, i found your blog off of laura's blog, i figured you looked at mine i could look at your right, dont you just love blogs? Anyway great post and i figure when you get around to it great people dont care that its late they just care they get it, and some just dont even care..If you need any thank yous for baby gifts i have a bunch, let me know..

counter