Thursday, August 21, 2008

I Believe in Miracles

Today in our neighborhood tragedy has struck. A little boy Tate’s age was riding his bike near the bus stop and was hit by a car. He was life flighted to Primary Children’s Hospital and is in surgery now. Our wonderful bishop has asked of our ward members to “fall to your knees and plead that our Heavenly Father will heal (this boy) and that a miracle will be performed.” He wants us to pray for the little boys’ parents and to pray for the teenager that hit him. I have done just that and will continue to do so.

When I was seven I saw Joanna, my younger sister by five years, get ran over. She threw up red Jello then went into shock and then unconscious. Just thinking back puts a knot in my stomach. Upon arriving at the emergency room at the hospital we learned of another two year old girl who was also run over that day and seeking medical attention. My mother was in the emergency room with her while my dad was in the car with us. He did just as our bishop is asking us to do now. He fell on his knees and pleaded to our Heavenly Father for a miracle. All of our family was kneeling in the parking lot crying and praying. My dad went in to check on Joanna and soon came out with the news that the other little girl didn’t make it. Soon after a neighbor showed up and took us to their house so that my dad could join my mom in the hospital. The days and weeks that passed by after that are not as strong of a memory for me. Joanna had surgery. She lived. She came home and had to learn again how to sit, stand and walk all over. She had a full recovery with minor issues to deal with for the rest of her life.

I believe in miracles. I believe that through the faith and prayers of flawed individuals like me God performs miracles. Please pray for these families too. Although you may not know these families, your prayer can make a difference.

While writing this I got a phone call… he passed away.

What is there to say? This boy was a beautiful child from an amazing family. He has three older brothers. One of which’s birthday is today. Please continue to pray for these families.

I still believe in miracles. For now, I am going to hurt.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, I am speechles. I feel for the boys family. And for the teenager. So sad.

Joanna said...

I have never heard anyone talk about my accident in as much detail before. Thank you for sharing it.

I ache for that family- just thinking about it brings back the moments after Dallin's death.... it's something that hurts just to think about. I'm praying for their families.. and yours.

Monica Buchanan said...

Our family is hurting also. Wyatt and Cooper were buddies and our hearts ache.

Kate said...

i'm glad joanna survived, and i ache for this family as well... thank you for sharing that story with us.

counter